Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

"Although your customers won’t love you if you give bad service, your competitors will." Kate Zabriskie

So this is my idea; The St Lucian economy relies on tourism. Tourism is a service oriented industry, yet customer service is terrible in St Lucia. Well, the tourists do tend to get preferential treatment at hotels, bars and restaurants but locals tend to get terrible service.

I appreciate the point of view that the tourist dollar is important but I should not be treated like a 2nd class citizen in my own home. If I go to a bar I expect the same quality of service that tourist get. The tourist are only here for 1 - 2 weeks. I live here, in the long run I am your most valuable customer if you just take the time to treat me like you want my business.

I called St. Lucia Distillers recently on behalf of a friend to get prices on some drinks. The lady who answered told me that she has customers in front of her and she is too busy to deal with me, then she hung up. I certainly hope you all can see the issue here. I am a customer (potentially) yet you are clearly stating that I am of less importance than the persons in front of you. That is terrible service. My friend did actually buy the drinks from Distillers, so her terrible service did not in the end cost the company but I wish it had. I wish that business owners would feel the effects of poor customer service directly as loss in revenue, because once money was being lost they would surely care.

This is far from the only example I have of poor service in my own home and I am sure many of you have tales to share as well. That being said I offer this simple piece of advice, don't accept this kind of treatment. If you do not like the service you receive speak to the manager or supervisor on duty. Write a letter of complaint, take a stance. Do not allow this sort of thing to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment